Nothing is more elegant for a carriage dress, than a hat of pensee velvet;the brim, the smallest that we have yet seen, is wide across the forehead, short at the ears, and a little larger on the left side than the right: it is lined with the same material, and trimmed on the inside with white blonde lace, one half of which, set on full and rather narrow, is arranged in the cap style; the remainder of the lace forms a round rosette on the opposite side, in the centre of which is a knot of pensee and white figured riband, cut to resemble foliage. The crown is low, of round shape, and higher in the centre than at the edges; it is ornamented with a drapery of the same material, edged with blonde lace, and placed in a bias direction; this drapery is terminated at the bottom of the crown on each side, by knots of cut riband; an ostrich feather to correspond in colour with the hat, issues from a fold in the drapery on the left side, and falls back over the crown.
A few lovely days have induced several of our elegantes to throw aside, at least for the moment, their winter dresses, and appear in the promenades in a demi saison costume. One of the prettiest of these, is a redingote of lavender gros de Naples; the corsage, made a schall, reached nearly to the throat in front, and was deep enough behind to form a pelerine. A very light rouleau of swansdown bordered the corsage and the fronts of the dress, the sleeves were made to sit close at the lower part of the arm; the upper part, quite as large as usual, fell en bouffant, considerably below the elbow; the bottom of the sleeve was bordered by a rouleau of swansdown.
1. A dress of plain chaly, the colour is Swedish blue, corsage a revers, the revers cut in light festoons' it is embroidered in silk of corresponding colour; long sleeves of gaze de Soie, A light embroidery, to correspond with that on the bust, goes round the upper edge of the hem. The turban is of ruby velvet, of a graceful shape, something higher and not quite so large as usual: it is ornamented with a gold bandeau which traverses one side, and an aigrette placed behind. A bandeau, corresponding with that on the turban, encircles the forehead. The mantle is of ruby velvet, with a collar, pelerine, and trimming of ermine. Ear-rings, and bracelets of gold, beautifully chased.
2. A white satin dress, the corsage a la Grecque, is bordered with a rouleau of lilac satin. Blonde lace sleeves, a l'Imbecille, over berets of white satin; they are surmounted by mancherons, ornamented by a rouleau to correspond with that on the corsage. A rouleau of the same material also borders the skirt. Head-dress, a chapeau beret of crimson satin. The crown is of the helmet shape, and very low, the shape of the brim is a half circle, it turns up all round and shows the jewelled bandeau worn underneath. A bouquet of white ostrich feathers falls in one direction over the brim. The ear-rings, &c. of or mat. The scarf is white and gold-coloured gauze.
3. A high dress of violet gros de Naples, finished round the border with two rows of pointed trimming of the same material. The pelerine is of green velvet, bordered by a rouleau of swansdown. Green velvet hat, trimmed with white ostrich feathers
4. A dress of white gaze de Soie, over white satin; the corsage en demi coeur, is cut low, and with a little fulness at the bottom of the waist' short and very full sleeve. formed into a double bouffant by a large knot of lilac gauze riband, which loops it nearly to the shoulder. A light embroidery of detached sprigs of lilac adorns the bottom of the skirt. A band and two noeuds of lilac riband are placed in a bias direction on one side, and a rouleau surmounts the embroidery. The hair is dressed in the Chinese fashion, but not high, and adorned with a plume of lilac feathers, placed on the summit of the head, and a gold comb. The necklace, ear-rings, and ceinture buckle, gold and pearls.
Second Ball Dress
5. A dress of bird of Paradise coloured crape over satin to correspond. Corsage en coeur cut rather high, the lappel forming points on the shoulders. Very short beret sleeve. The trimming of the skirt is French-grey gauze riband, arranged in a flat wreath of foliage, which is traversed by a row of leaves the colour of the dress. The hair is arranged in full curls at the sides of the face, and low round bows on the summit of the head. Knots of the tulip shape, composed of cut riband, are intermixed with the bows. Ear-rings and necklace of burnished gold.
6. A rose-coloured velvet dress, corsage a la Sevigne, cut square, rather high, and bordered with narrow blonde lace, which stands up round the bust. Long sleeve of gaze de Paris, over a white satin undersleeve; it is confined just above the elbow by a band an knot of rose-coloured riband; the lower part, which sites close to the arm, is ornamented by rose-coloured bands placed in demi losange, from the wrist to the elbow;the epaulettes are points of rose-coloured velvet, edged with blonde lace. Ceinture of figured velvet; a single rouleau of a deeper shade than the dress, borders the hem. Rose-coloured velvet hat; the crown is low, and of a melon shape, the brim is ornamented on the inside with white blonde lace, arranged en etoile. Ostrich feathers drooping in different directions adorn the crown. Ear-ring, et cetera, pearls.
A white satin dress, the corsage cur high in the centre of the bosom, but low on the shoulders and behind; it is ornamented en revers with blond lace at the sides and round the back of the bust, the centre of which is trimmed with a ruche a la neige, of blond net. Short beret sleeve covered with a triple row of blond lace, which falls very low. The outer dress is an open pelisse-robe of crimson velvet, lined with blue satin; it is made en peignoir, except that it has short loose sleeves. The beret, composed of lavender bloom-coloured velvet, is placed very far back upon the head, and ornamented with two white ostrich feathers, one placed at the bottom of the crown, the other under the brim.
A white satin dress, the corsage cut low and square, is ornamented with a fold of satin, open on the shoulders, rather deep behind, and lightly festooned in the centre of the bosom by a bouquet of flower; beret sleeves, finished en manchette, with blond lace, arranged so as to fall in a point below the elbow. The ceinture is a band of or mat, fastened by a burnished gold buckle. The skirt is trimmed round the border with festoons of gold fringe, the point of each festoon us adorned with a bouquet of wild flowers mixed with ears of gold corn. The hair is very much divided on the forehead, and dressed in full curls at the sides of the face: it is arranged in two round bows on the summit of the hear, and a soft braid, which is twisted round the bows. A light bouquet of flowers is inserted in the braid, and a gold comb is placed behind. Pearl ear-rings; gold neck-chain.