For once, I don't have a lot of pictures! The construction of the skirt was so simple that I didn't really think to take any. The skirt is made up of three layers of fabric, two chiffon, one voile. The skirt is 3 panels wide. All I did was sew the pieces together along the selvages (so there wasn't even a need for finishing the edges!) and left 9" open on one seam for a simple placket. I then hand gathered the skirt (which I did take a picture of!) and sewed it to a waistband. I prefer hand gathering because you have more control than you do machine gathering. Or at least I do. I did accidentially cut one of my threads halfway though while trimming a lopsided piece of chiffon, but since it was a doubled thread and I only cut one strand, I kept using it. It worked just fine :)
Gathering the skirt. It's a little hard to see since the picture is blurry, but it's just two rows of running stitches.
Here are a few fabric pictures. Most of this fabric seen below was used in the dress! The skirt has almost 7 yards of chiffon and 3 1/3 yards voile. The chemise uses about 2 yards of chiffon and 1 of voile.
The dyed chiffon in the sink. I loved the way it looked so I took a picture. This is the final rinse. I cut the chiffon into panels before I dyed it. I figured dealing with 40" panels would be easier than dealing with a 9 piece. I figured 5 extra inches would allow for shrinkage. When the fabric dried though, it was about 5 inches too short. Needless to say I was a little worried. Fortunately, once I ironed it it sprung back into shape. Whew :)
The chiffon before dyeing.
The voile before prewashing. I left this white.
Picnic Dress Home
I'm lost, take me home!